Here we will explore the benefits of Reishi mushroom in hormone balance. We will take a deeper look at the reishi mushroom benefits for PCOS and also show you why reishi is a top-rated hormonal balancing mushroom.
If you are hearing the topic of reishi mushroom and hormones for the first time, you may want to know what exactly are hormones. Hormones are chemicals produced by endocrine glands which are released into the blood. They control our well-being by carrying messages in the blood to different organs and tissues. Our energy levels, levels of stress, digestion, and sleep are determined by the hormones.
Hormone levels also impact our reproductive health, bodyweight fluctuations, and stress response. This means that mushrooms for hormone balance play numerous roles in the body's health and body functions. Hormonal imbalance can be blamed for chronic fatigue, inflammatory states, weight gain, weight loss, low mood, depression, anxiety, insomnia, infertility, skin, and gut problems.
So how exactly does Reishi play a role in restoring our hormonal balance? Can women and men use reishi mushrooms for fertility? Does Reishi mushroom increase testosterone or not? And what is the link between Reishi mushroom and estrogen? Read on to know more about Reishi mushroom hormone balance!
Benefits Of Reishi In Balancing Our Hormone
Reishi Mushroom Reduces Stress
When it comes to the reishi mushroom hormones balancing benefits, more than one research study has shown that mushroom products help with stress. You can often hear that the Reishi mushroom is an adaptogen superfood fungus(1). That means the mushroom can help our bodies adapt to stressful situations. Incorporating Reishi mushrooms into your lifestyle will help combat stress and toxins that can disrupt the equilibrium of the endocrine system.
When incorporated into a diet, this mushroom for balance hormone helps the human body handle stress in a much better way. Reduced stress balances hormone levels in all people—that is, men and women.
Reishi Supports Reproductive Health
When people are having issues with their fertility, a hormone imbalance could be one of the reasons. If you are wondering do mushrooms increase testosterone, it is worth noting that this is one of the many reishi mushroom's benefits. Infertility in men is often a result of low testosterone. One of the best mushrooms for testosterone, reishi increases this vital male fertility hormone—by helping balance hormones for males, the reishi's balancing hormone benefits improve male vitality and fertility.
Reishi mushroom has numerous benefits for women's health. They up-regulate the immune system and help detoxify all the substances that mimic estrogens(2) (xenoestrogens). Xenoestrogens are not produced by our bodies. However, they mimic the effects of natural estrogens and bring about several side effects resulting from excessive levels of estrogens.
Xenoestrogens alter the reproductive functions not just in women but in men too. Xenoestrogens are found in cosmetics, food packaging materials, and plastics. Reishi provides excellent liver support(3) and helps with the detoxification of these chemicals.
Reishi Mushroom Helps With Infertility
Reishi mushrooms improve fertility levels through their adaptogenic properties. They strengthen and support the adrenal glands, and reduce the stress in women trying to conceive.
Reishi also protects the liver functions, which is useful when undergoing infertility treatments. In-vitro fertilization (IVF), long-term birth control use, and medicated intrauterine insemination (IUI) can all harm the liver. Reishi mushroom also decreases the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that can cause infertility.
Reishi Mushroom For PCOS
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), is a common endocrine disorder in women of reproductive age caused by excess levels of androgen. If you are asking yourself "are mushrooms good for PCOS?", you should know that the Reishi mushroom has been found to reduce the levels(4) of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. This enzyme is a mediator of the reaction that converts the inactive form of testosterone to its active form (dihydrotestosterone).
High levels of active testosterone (or androgenic hormone) can cause irregular menstruation, increased facial hair, and acne. The antagonizing effect of the Reishi mushroom on androgens can help manage the symptoms of PCOS. Reishi mushrooms can stimulate ovulation which can also aid in regularizing menstrual cycles.
What's more, when it comes to balancing hormones for women, the answer to the question "does reishi mushroom increase estrogen?" is yes. Estrogen is the most vital hormone in women. By increasing estrogen, reishi balances hormones in the female body by ensuring the female hormones are much higher than the male hormone—in this case, testosterone is the male hormone.
Reishi For Endometriosis
Endometriosis is a condition where uterine tissues grow in abnormal places causing significant pain, abnormal periods, and infertility. The anti-inflammatory property(5) of Reishi is useful in reducing pelvic inflammation. This helps in managing the discomfort associated with endometriosis.
The adaptogen property of Reishi helps manage stress by regulating the release of stress hormones. These hormones can worsen the symptoms of endometriosis. Using Reishi twice a day is beneficial for endometriosis.
Reishi For Menopause
Reishi menopause benefits have been known to help with hormone balance. The symptoms of menopause indicate that it is a general inflammatory state. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant benefits of the mushroom reduce hot flushes, improve energy levels, and balance the disrupted hormones during menopause.
They help to fight(6) depressive states and fatigue associated with insomnia. Reishi mushroom also supports the natural sleep cycle and battles insomnia(7). Insomnia is a major problem in menopausal women.
Reishi is also known to help tackle weight gain that could be a result of hormonal imbalance. Reishi mushroom is widely respected for their benefits in menopause.
Reishi And Pregnancy
Reishi mushroom is thought to strengthen the immune system in pregnancy. It is thought that women who consume Reishi during pregnancy report less complicated births and calmer babies.
However, there are no scientific studies to back these claims. It is better to avoid Reishi during pregnancy or use the mushroom only after a go-ahead from your gynecologist.
Reishi And Breast Health
Reishi mushrooms can help protect against breast cancer. Ganoderma lucidum inhibits the proliferation of breast cancer cells by down-regulating(8) the estrogen receptors. Decreasing the total number of estrogen receptors will suppress the proliferation of cancer cells that are dependent on estrogens.
The mushroom is also known to inhibit protein synthesis in tumor cells, which is required for cell multiplication. Reishi also inhibits the invasion of tumor cells and causes death by self-killing
Reishi Mushroom Boosts Libido
Reishi mushroom has been used for many centuries to increase the sex drive naturally. The aphrodisiac effect(9) of Ganoderma has been shown to increase mating performance, testosterone levels, number of ejaculations, and intromissions in the study model.
Taking Reishi consistently will improve immune health and reduce stress, both of which are good for enhancing libido.
Consuming Reishi mushroom supplements is a natural way to support hormonal health. Hormones are linked with stress, infertility, libido, and women’s health issues like menopausal symptoms, PCOS, breast cancer, and endometriosis.
There are numerous benefits of the Reishi mushroom for hormonal balance that have been reviewed in this article. So why wait to add the mushroom to your life!
- Sissi Wachtel-Galor, Yuen, J., Buswell, J. A., & Iris. (2011).Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi or Reishi). Nih.gov; CRC Press/Taylor & Francis. (1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92757/
- Paterni, I., Granchi, C., & Minutolo, F. (2017). Risks and benefits related to alimentary exposure to xenoestrogens.Critical reviews in food science and nutrition,57(16), 3384–3404. (2) https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2015.1126547
- Wu, X., Zeng, J., Hu, J., Liao, Q., Zhou, R., Zhang, P., & Chen, Z. (2013). Hepatoprotective effects of aqueous extract from Lingzhi or Reishi medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (higher basidiomycetes) on α-amanitin-induced liver injury in mice.International journal of medicinal mushrooms,15(4), 383–391. (3) https://doi.org/10.1615/intjmedmushr.v15.i4.60
- Grant, P., & Ramasamy, S. (2012). An update on plant derived anti-androgens.International journal of endocrinology and metabolism,10(2), 497–502. (4) https://doi.org/10.5812/ijem.3644
- Barbieri, A., Quagliariello, V., Del Vecchio, V., Falco, M., Luciano, A., Amruthraj, N. J., Nasti, G., Ottaiano, A., Berretta, M., Iaffaioli, R. V., & Arra, C. (2017). Anticancer and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Ganoderma lucidum Extract Effects on Melanoma and Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Treatment.Nutrients,9(3), 210. (5) https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9030210
- Socala, K., Nieoczym, D., Grzywnowicz, K., Stefaniuk, D., & Wlaz, P. (2015). Evaluation of Anticonvulsant, Antidepressant-, and Anxiolytic-like Effects of an Aqueous Extract from Cultured Mycelia of the Lingzhi or Reishi Medicinal Mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Higher Basidiomycetes) in Mice.International journal of medicinal mushrooms,17(3), 209–218. (6) https://doi.org/10.1615/intjmedmushrooms.v17.i3.10
- Cui, X. Y., Cui, S. Y., Zhang, J., Wang, Z. J., Yu, B., Sheng, Z. F., Zhang, X. Q., & Zhang, Y. H. (2012). Extract of Ganoderma lucidum prolongs sleep time in rats.Journal of ethnopharmacology,139(3), 796–800. (7) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.12.020
- Jiang, J., Slivova, V., & Sliva, D. (2006). Ganoderma lucidum inhibits proliferation of human breast cancer cells by down-regulation of estrogen receptor and NF-kappaB signaling.International journal of oncology,29(3), 695–703. (8) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16865287/
- Ahmed, H., & Aslam, M. (2018). Evaluation of aphrodisiac activity of ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum in male Wistar rats. Clinical Phytoscience,4(1). (9) https://doi.org/10.1186/s40816-018-0086-7